Sri Sringeri Shankara Math at Kalady
Kalady, the holy birth place of Jagadguru Adi Shankara Bhagavadpada is a beautiful village with rustic simplicity and serenity . It is situated very close to the river Periyar(Poorna).
Ghats on Purna (Periyar) River beside the Math
Jagadguru Shankaracharyas of Sringeri – Sri Abhinava
Vidyatirtha Mahaswami, Puri – __, and Dwaraka –
“Kalady is a pre-eminent center for inspiration on the banks of the Puma River that purifies every man in thought, word and deed. A visit to Kalady increases tranquilify, self restraint and other eminent virtues of those engaged in the pursuit of knowledge. It is the duty of every common man to visit the Holy Kalady, the birth place of Adi Sankara, and more so any aspirant for liberation, the sanyasi and those who follow the Advaita school of thought” —
said Jagadguru Shankaracharyas of Sringeri, Dwaraka, Badari and Puri in joint message.
Kumbhabhisheka Mahotsavam at Kalady in 1910
Shrine of Sri Shradamba
Kalady, the Adi Shankara Janma Bhumi Kstetram or birth place of Sri Sankara remained obscure till the beginning of 20th century. Jagadguru Sri Sachidananda Shivabhinava Narasimha Bharathi Swamigal, the 33rd Peetathipathi of the illustrious Sringeri guru parampara with the help of Sri Moolam Thirunal Ramavarma Maharaja of Thiruvitamcore located Kalady. His Holiness built two temples one for Goddess Sharadamba and one for Sri Sankara. The Kumabhishekam was performed on the auspicious Magha shukla dwadasi in the year 1910 (21-02-1910). Then after Kalady grew into prominence as a great international pilgrim center. The Maha Swamiji began the conduct of Sri Sankara Jayanthi and Navarathri at Kalady from that time.
Jagadguru Shankaracharya Sri Chandrashekhara Bharati Mahaswami’s Vijaya Yatra to Kalady in 1927
In 1927 a veda vedanta patashala was established by Jagadguru Sri Chandrasekhara Bharathi Mahaswamigal. H.H. also built an agraharam and staff quarters. Diving the dharmic reign of Jagadguru SriAbhinava Vidyatheertha Mahaswamigal there was a lot of improvement at the temple complex including the construction of a Guest House for pilgrims.
The Veda Pathashala at Kalady
Shrine of Sri Shankaracharya
The present peetathipathi Sri SriBharathi Theertha Mahaswamigal isreponsiblefor the all round improvement of the temple and near by places. H.H. takes keen interest in the educational institutions working under his patronage (Sree Shankara College, Sree Sharada vidyalayam, Adi Shankara Institute of Engineering and Technology, Adi Shankara Training College, The rigveda patasala and Sri Sankara School of Dance and Music are some of the educational centers managed by Sringeri Mutt). In 1991 H.H. Sri Sri Bharathi Theertha Mahaswamigal laid the foundation stone for the Sree Shankaracharya University of Sanskrit at Kalady and gave liberal donation to the same.H.H. is the Chief Counsellor of the University.
The Temple complex draws a large number of devotees and pilgrims especially during sri Shankara Jayanthi and Sarada Sarannavarathri festivals. Pilgrims and tourists from all parts of India and abroad, visit this temple for spiritual solace and peace of mind.
- Sri Sakti Ganapati
- Sri Sharadamba
- Adi Shankara and
- Samadhi of Aryamba (Holy mother of Sri Shankara)
- Udayastamana Pooja – Rs.1001
- Gou Pooja – Rs.101
Monthly Nakshatracharna for one year
- Ashtothara Archana – Rs.200
- Trishati Archana – Rs.250
- Sahasranamarchana – Rs.300
- Ganapati Homam – Rs.700
Monthly Nakshatracharna Endowment fund
- Ashtothara Archana – Rs.3000
- Trishati Archana – Rs.4000
- Sahasranamarchana – Rs.6000
- Ganapati Homam – Rs.10000
Sri Shakti Ganapati Sannidhi
- Atharvaseersha Pushpanjali – Rs.20
- Ganapati Homam – Rs.55
- Maha Ganapati Homam – Rs.350
- Panchamrita Abishekham – Rs.80
- Appam Naivedyam – Rs.55
- Modakam Naivedyam (21 Nos.) – Rs.55
- Modakam Naivedyam ( 51 Nos.) – Rs.105
- Modakam Naivedyam (101 Nos.) – Rs.205
- Pradosha Pooja – Rs.55
- One day Pooja – Rs.150
- Atharva Seersha Pradosha Pooja – Rs.300
- Sankatahara Chaturti Pooja – Rs.150
Adi Shankaracharya Sannidhi
- Dakshinamoorthy Pushpanjali – Rs.20
- Mrityunjaya Pushpanjali – Rs.20
- Purusha Sukta Pushpanjali – Rs.20
- Ekavara Rudrabhishekham – Rs.80
- Ekadasha Rudrabhishekham – Rs.130
- Eka kala pooja – Rs.150
Sri Shara Devi Sannidhi
- Sri Sukta Pushpanjali – Rs.20
- Bhagya Sukta Pushpanjali – Rs.20
- Sri Vidya Mantra Pushpanjali – Rs.20
- Bala Tripura Sundari Pushpanjali – Rs.20
- Aikya Madhya Sukta Pushpanjali – Rs.20
- Swayamvara Parvati Mantra Pushpanjali – Rs.20
- Sri Chakra Panchamrita Abhishekham – Rs.80
- Sri Chakra Pooja – Rs.200
- Devi Mahatmya (Saptashathi Parayana) – Rs.250
- One day pooja – Rs.150
- Sapta Mathruka pooja – Rs.55 each
- Thailarpanam to Bhara Deepam – Rs.25
- Sarpa Pooja – Rs.45
- Sarpa Panchamrita Abhishekha – Rs.80
- Ashtothram – Rs.300
- Trishadi – Rs.600
- Sahasranamam – Rs.1000
- Payasa Naivedya – Rs.75
- Vadai Naivedya – Rs.75
Address & Contact Person
The Honorary Manager,
Sri Sringeri Shankara Math,
Kalady, Eranakulam District – 683574
Phone: 0484-2462350, 0484-2465922
E-mail: [email protected]
Kalady is the village situated in Ernakulam district of Kerala , It is accessible by road and rail alighting at Angamaly. The Kochi International Airport at Nedumbassery is located nearby from Kalady.
Kalady Bus stand – 1 km
Angamali Railway Station – 7 kms.
Aluva Railway Station – 22 kms.
Cochin Air Port – 7 kms.
Cochin Port Trust – 35 kms.