The Nasik Math at Panchavati on the holy banks of the Godavari river is the oldest saka maths (Branch) of Sri Sharada Peetham, Sringeri. This branch math was was established during the Peshva Maharajas rule in Maharastra in Circa 1740 A.D. At that time the Blessing for the establishment of Math branch on the banks of the river Godavari situated near to the famous Kala Ram Mandir. was showered by the 27th Acharya, Jagadguru Sri Sacchidhananda Bharathi II.
The Math at Nasik houses centuries old athistanams of two Jagadgurus, Sri Abinava Sacchidananda Bharati 1, the 28th Acharya and Sri Narasimha Bharathi VII, his successor, the 29th Acharya in the illustrious Guru Parampara of Sringeri Sharada Peetham.
The Adhishthanams of Sri Abinava Sacchidananda Bharati 1 & Sri Narasimha Bharathi VII
respectively at Sri Sringeri Shankaracharya Math in Panchavati
On their way back from Varanasi, the Jagadgurus wished to perform tapas at this holy place due to war disturbances at Sringeri. The then Peshwa Maharaja, immediately gave a vast area for the establishment of a Math along with eight villages to support the daily requirements. In about fifteen years, both their Holiness’ attained maha-samadhi at Panchavati.
In the mean time due to sever drought and other natural calamities suffered by the then Mysore State (Karnataka), the ruling kings including the Tipu Sultan found that it was all due to the absence of His Holiness at Sringeri & realized that all should come together and seek the pardon of the Jagadguru and restored the normalcy in the town of Sringeri. Accordingly they came to Nasik and got united by treaties not to fight among them selves and agreed to fight against the British unitedly and seek the pardon of His Holiness of the then 30th Pontiff Jagadguru Sri Sacchidananda Bharati – III, who in turn returned to Sringeri permanently. The Historical sanad are still available in Sringeri.
The Peshwa Maharajas highly respected the Jagadgurus of Sringeri Sharada Peetham and offered State Honor many times. Sri Shivaji Rao Peshwa – II son of Sri Raja Ram Peshwa and other Peshwas Sri Madhav Rao Peshwa & Sri Ragunatha Rao Peshwa Maharajas invited the 26th, 27th & 28th Jagadgurus several times to Pune and offered Agra Puja and Adda Palki Seva etc. protecting the properties of the Math during Vijaya Yatras. In the year 1740 A.D Peshva Baji Rao I granted sanad to H. H Sri. Sacchidanda Bharati Mahaswami and offered Agra Pooja at Pune, Junnar, Ganga Thirth and other places.
Sri. Ramachandra Patvardhan Maharaja of Jamkhandi offered his respects & Kanike on his vijaya yatra invited Our 33rd Acharyal Jagadguru Sacchidananda Shivabinava Narashimha Bharathi Mahaswami during 1886 -1890. All great kingdoms of Marathas, Sindhiyas, Holkars, Ghorphades, Bhosle and Pawars gave a rousing reception to the Holiness’ on their Vijaya Yatras as well as at Sringeri & Nasik.
The Math at Nasik, houses, apart from the hallowed adhishthanams of two Jagadgurus of the Sringeri Sharada Peetham, the shrines of Sri Adishankaracharya and Sri Sharadamaba. During 1838 the Math building was repaired & reconstructed and a Kumbabisekam was performed after installing a life size statue of Sri Adi Shankara Bagavatpadhacharayal in fine marble.
Kumbhabhishekam performed by His Holiness Sri Bharati Tirtha Mahaswami
Recently during the Vijaya Yatra of His Holiness Sri Bharati Tirtha Mahaswami, the presiding Acharya of Sringeri Sharada Peetham, the shrine of Sri Adi Shankaracharya was renovated and a new shrine for Sri Sharadamba was constructed. The prana-pratishtha and kumbhabhishekam of these shrines was performed by His Holiness on __ (1st November 2007).
Vijaya Yatras of Jagadgurus to Nasik
Nasik has always been graced by the holy dust of Jagadgurus’ feet whenever they have set about on a Vijaya Yatra to North India when they come to have darshanam of Lord Sri Tryambakeshwara & Godavari Nadhi Tirtham.
During the Vijaya Yatra to North India and Himalayas during 1964 to 1968 Sri Abinava Vithya Thirtha Mahaswami visited and stayed at Math in Nashik and also Visited a famous Granthalaya at Nasik. Again after the Maha Kumbabisekam of Devi Annapoorni at Varanasi in the year 1977 the Jagadguru Visited Nashik. In the year 1982 during the Himalaya-Yatra Sri Sri Maha Sannidhanam & Sri. Sannidhanam visited Nasik. During 1992 Vijaya Yatra Sri Bharati Tirtha Mahaswami visited the Sringeri math daily daily and performed puja at the Athistanams. At that time His Holiness was camping at “Rananubhandham Mangal Karyalaya” at Nashik city, a few kilometres away from the Matha at Panchavati. During the Vijaya Yatra in 1994 Sri Bharati Tirtha Mahaswami Stayed at “Mukti Dham” in Nasik Road and visited several places including the Nasik Math and performed puja at the Athistanams. In 2007, His Holiness performed Kumbhabhishekam and Prana-pratishtha to the newely constructed temples of Sri Shankaracharya and Sri Sharadamba which was constructed in a record time of three months in the rainy season.
- Morning 8.30 to 11.30
- Evening 6.00 to 8.30
Weekly Special Poojas
- Every Wednesday at 7 p.m Sri Vishnu Shasranama Parayanams
- Every Pradosham & Sri Sankata Hara Chaturthi we offer special poojas to Sri. Maha Ganapathi in the evening.
- Poumami Pooja in the evening.
- Sri Maha Shivaratri : Caturkala (4 kala) Abisekam & Pooja to Sri Shankaracharya & Athistanms is celebrated on Magha Bahula Chaturdashi
- Vardhanthi Mahotsava of Sri Bharathi Thirtha Mahaswami’s with many Homas etc on Chaitra Sukla Shashti
- Shankara Jayanthi – Abisekam &Poojasetc on Vaisakha Sukla panchami
- Rig & Yajur Upakarma & Gaythiri Japa Homam for large no of devotees & Chaturmasya Prarambam i.e. Veda Vyasa Pooja or Guru Pournima. With many abisekam etc.
- Navarathiri Mahotsavam with grand poojas & Annadhanam etc in Morning & Evening for 10 days with grand performance of Chandi Homa & Vijayadasami
- The Pradhista Dinam of Sri Adi Shankaracharya & Sri Sharadha Devi – Many Abisekams & Pooja on Karthika Krishna Sapthami
- Other Small Functions & Sri Dharma Sastha Preeti by Group of Devotees
- Sri. Vishnu Sahasranama Laksharchana by group of Devotees
- Aradhana of Sri Abinava Sachidhandha Bharathi Mahaswamigal observed on (Campa Shashti) in the month of Margasirsha Suklapaksha Sashti
- Aradhana of Sri Narasimha Bharathi Mahaswamigal observed on (Anantha Chaturdasi) in the month of Bhadrapada Suklapaksha Chaturdashi
Math Complex at Nashik
Since the Math is 300 years old and in the middle we have the Holy Athistanams we are highly restricted towards the usage of the premises for Very Big Functions. However to manage the earnings & to satisfy the devotee’s requirements we are providing the Math for Small Upanayanam, Marriages, Seenandham & Abhta poorthis etc. with limited capacity of 100 to 150 nos of Participants.
We strictly banned the usage of Cooking Systems of Coal & Fire wood at our Math till some Separate Cooking Room is Constructed for that purpose.
Other Information regarding Spiritual Rites at The Holy Godhavari Ghat:
Since very close to the Ram Kund by staying at our rooms, we guide for Performing the Thirtha Vidhis & Dasa Kirya Karmas, Kala Sarpa Dosa Shanthi Narayan Nag Bali Etc at a nominal cost and in a befitting manner under Sukla Yajur Veda Sampradhaya by The Traditional Good Maharastrian Sri Kshetra Prohits at the Ram Kund Ghat at Panchavati / Triambakeshwar with excellent food at Pandit’s House.
The Hiranya Shrarthas & Amavasya / Sankramana Tharpana etc shall be conducted at our Math after the’pooja routines by our priest with the consent of the Management.
Accommodation for Yatriks
Totally 10 Yatriks Rooms are in usage each with different capacity to accommodate from 2 to 15 persons & at a time, the altogether Maximum capacity inside the Math is 25 to 30 people to have pleasant Stay. Fully equipped with Light, Fan with 24 Hrs water supplies.
In total we have 2 Indian Style & 2 Western Style Latrines at the rear side well ventilated & Lighted with water supply in a neat & clean condition with in the walk able distance.
The yatriks are provided with Gadi, Pillow, Bed Sheet, and Blanket as per availability. If required in large nos rental beds shall be arranged.
The Yatriks Room Kanike are very nominal & affordable with pleasant environment
Visiting Time is Restricted to 7 am to 10.00 p.m in the Night.
- For Food good Veg. Hotels are available near by.
- We shall arrange for the Home Made Food by Kannada, Tamil, Maharastrian Bhramin Catering Services according to their availability in the City at an advance intimation.
- Highly orthodox Vedic devotees well known to the math management alone shall with previous intimation & consent be provided the meals at the Math.
- During tiie festivities all yatriks will get a sumptuous food in the math.
Nashik is …
- 4 hrs by road or rail journey from Mumbai
- 5 hrs road journey from Pune
- Surrounded in Syadhri Hill Range with good climate & Greenery
- Near Triambak (32 Kms) – Shirdi (92 Km) Shani Singanapur (92 Kms) & Saptasringi Vani (63Kms) Temples, Indian Air Force (Borgad, Ozar), Stations & Army Base (Deolali), HAL – Ozar, Govt of India Security Press, Large Industrial Estates of Ambad (12 Km) Satpur, (tOKm) Malegaon – Sinner, Large Industrial Estates of Ambad (12 Km) Satpur, (10Km) Malegaon – Sinner (Approx 35 Kms) with leading automobile, Electrical & Electronic and many service industries & Heavy Industries
The Sri Shnakara Math at Panchavati is …
- 1 Km from the City Bus Stand
- 12 Km from the Railway Station
- Connected by 24 Hrs Bus /Auto / Taxi Services
- 10 Minutes Walk from Ram Kund bathing Ghat of The River Godhavari
- 10 Minutes Walk from Sri Kala Ram Mandir, 5 Baniyan Trees, and Sita Gupha.
- Specifically Known as “Sri. Sringeri Shankaracharya Math or Sri Adya Shankaracharya Math” near Sardhar Chowk Police Station & Opp Amruth Dhugdhalaya.
Sri. Sringeri Shankaracharya Math,
Sardhar Chowk, Kalaram Mandir Road,
Maharastra – 422 003
Sri. G. Viswanathan Iyer, Honorary Agent,
Telephone Number – 0253 2513824