Sri Rajarajeshwari – The presiding deity at Karur Sringeri Shankara Math
The branch Math of Sringeri Sharada Peetham at Karur was inaugrated in 1959 by Jagadguru Sri Sri Abhinava Vidyatirtha Mahaswamiji on Vrishchika Purnima in the Rohini asterism, by the Kumbhabhisheka of the Rajarajeshwari temple.
The unique Dwadasha-Bhuja Rajarajeshwari murti was made under the orders of Jagadguru Shankaracharya Sri Chandrashekhara Bharati Mahaswamiji by the Mysore Samsthanam back in 1948.
In 1972, Jagadguru Sri Abhinava Vidyatirtha Mahaswamiji consecrated a Utsava Murti of Devi Rajarajeshwari. Another Kumbhabhishekam was performed in 1988 by both the Jagadgurus Sri Abhinava Vidyatirtha Mahaswamiji and Sri Bharati Tirtha Mahaswamiji.
In 2003 a splended Gold Kavacha weighing over 3 kilograms was dedicated to the presiding deity.
Sri Rajarajeshwari Devi in Suvarna Kavacha Alankaram.
Since its inception, regular pujas are being performed as per scriptural injunctions under the guidance of the Jagadguru.
Utsava Murti in Oonjal Utsavam
- Ashtottara, Trishati and Sahasranama Archanas for Devi Rajarajeshwari.
- Mesha Vishuva Punyakalam (Mesha Sankramana) – Special Puja is performed.
- Mesha Krishna Panchami – Utsava Pratishtha Dina Abhishekam in the morning, Rathotsavam and Oonjal Utsavam in the evening.
- Dakshinayana Punya Kala – Special Puja is performed.
- Karka Masa / Karkataka Masa (Aadi) – Suvarna Kavacha alankaram on all Fridays. Special flower alankaram on 3rd Friday.
- Mahalaya Amavasya – Abhishekam for forthcoming Navaratri Festival.
- Sharan-Navaratri – Laksharchana in the morning, Suvasini Puja, Kanya Puja in the noon, Special Puja in the evening and Deeparadhana on all nine days. Rathotsavam on Vijaya Dashami.
- Ashvina Shukla Ekadashi and Dwadashi (Proceeding Vijaya Dashami) – Shakhambari Alankaram.
- Ashvina Trayodashi – Oonjal Utsavam
- Ashvina Purnima – Navashakti Archana, comprising of Archana using nine types of flowers, with nine sahasranamavalis and nine fruits and nava-bhakshanam to the Navashaktis viz. Iccha, Jnana, Kriya, Kamini, Kamadayini, Rati, Ratipriya, Nanda, Manonmani.
- Deepavali – Deepotsavam
- Vrishchika Purnima – Pratishtha Dinam.
- Dhanurmasa – Special puja in Usha kala early in the morning.
- Makara Sankranti – Special Puja.
Abhisheka to the presiding deity, Sri Rajarajeshwari Devi is performed only three times a year.
M. Anantakrishnan, Honarary Manager,
9/19 West Madavalaham,
Tamil Nadu – 639 001
Phone Number – 04324-260152