The branch math at Nallakunta is the oldest of the branch maths of the Sringeri Math in Hyderabad. The land on which the present Math and temple complex are located were donated to the math by the Late Sri Raja Venkata Rao Limbekar as a token of his love and devotion to the 34th Jagadguru Shankaracharya Sri Sri Chandrashekhara Bharathi Mahaswamiji. Above this, he also constructed the temples of Sri Shankaracharya and Sri Adi Shankaracharya.
The Pratishtha kumbhabhishekam of the temples was performed by the 35th Jagadguru Shankaracharya Sri Sri Abhinava Vidyatirtha Mahaswamiji on the auspicious day of Akshaya Tritiya in the year 1960 – April 26 1960.
Since then, the temple and the Math have served as a focal point of spiritual activities to the community of Astikas and followers of Sanatana Dharma in the city of Hyderabad.
Jagadgurus’ Camps at the Math
Since the opening of the Math and the Kumbhabhishekam of the temples, Jagadgurus Sri Sri Abhinava Vidyatirtha Mahaswamiji and Sri Sri Bharati Tirtha Mahaswamiji have visited Nallakunta Math many times on different occasions as follows.
- June 1961 – short visit by Sri Sri Abhinava Vidyatirtha Mahaswamiji
- December 1965 – short visit by Sri Sri Abhinava Vidyatirtha Mahaswamiji
- May 1966 – Shankara Jayanti observed by Sri Sri Abhinava Vidyatirtha Mahaswamiji before proceeding to North India
- December 1967 – Short visit before proceeding towards Sringeri, returning from North India
- November 1976 – Camp of both Jagadgurus Sri Sri Abhinava Vidyatirtha Mahaswamiji and Sri Sri Bharati Tirtha Mahaswamiji from 28-11-76 to 10-12-76.
- July 1977 – Chaturmasya Vrata observed by both Jagadgurus Sri Sri Abhinava Vidyatirtha Mahaswamiji and Sri Sri Bharati Tirtha Mahaswamiji.
- May 1982 – Shivaratri vrata observed by both Jagadgurus Sri Sri Abhinava Vidyatirtha Mahaswamiji and Sri Sri Bharati Tirtha Mahaswamiji.
- June 1985 – Chaturmasya vrata and Sharan-Navaratri Mahotsava by observed by Sri Sri Bharati Tirtha Mahaswamiji. The Jagadguru also presided over Sahitya Sammelan, the Silver Jubilee of Sri Shankara Krupa (Telugu) and a seminar on Sri Adi Shankara and Kalady.
- April 1989 – Sri Shankara Jayanti celebrations conducted by Sri Sri Bharati Tirtha Mahaswamiji. The Jagadguru also presided over a seminar on Sri Adi Shankaracharya conducted on 7.5.1989.
- October 1992 – Centenary celebrations of the 34th Jagadguru Shankaracharya Sri Sri Chandrashekhara Bharati Mahaswamiji conducted in the august presence of Sri Sri Bharati Tirtha Mahaswamiji.
The temple and math being located in an area densely populated by middle-class Hindu families, acts as the focal point of spiritual activities of the local people as well as Astikas from other parts of the city. As such, important festivals and vratas in the Hindu almanac are observed at the Math in accordance with scriptures, under the guidance of the Jagadguru for the benefit of the society.
Apart from this, the Math also hosts discourses, Hari Katha and Upanyasam on scriptures, Puranas in Telugu by eminent Pauranikas from Andhra Pradesh for the benefit of the local community.
- Chandramana Yugadi (Telugu New-year)
- Vardhanti of Jagadguru Shankaracharya Sri Sri Bharati Tirtha Mahaswamiji
- Sri Vasanta-Navaratri (Rama Navami)
- Sri Shankara Jayanti
- Sri Varasiddhi-Vinayaka Chaturthi
- Shravana Somavara Puja
- Aradhana of Jagadguru Shankaracharya Sri Sri Abhinava Vidyatirtha Mahaswamiji
- Aradhana of Jagadguru Shankaracharya Sri Sri Chandrashekhara Bharati Mahaswamiji
- Sri Sharada Sharan-Navaratri
- Kartika Somavara Puja
- Kartika Purnima
- Maha Shivaratri
Sri Sringeri Shankara Math,
University Road, Nallakunta,
Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh – 500 044
Phone Numbers: 040-27667783 , 040-27630000
- Sri R. D. Sarma, Dharmadhikari
- Sri K. Krishna Rao, Manager
With the blessings of the Jagadguru Shankaracharya Sri Sri Bharati Tirtha Mahaswamiji, the Sharada Sharannavaratri Mahotsava occuring in the Ashvina Sukla Paksha from the 4th of October to the 14th of October 2013 will be celebrated at Sringeri Shankara Math, Nallakunta, Hyderabad. Details of the special pujas, sevas and festivities are given in the invitation below in both English and Telugu.
In view of the forthcoming camp of the Jagadguru Shankaracharya at Hyderabad, published below are the details of hotels in and around the Shankara Math in Nallakunta.
The Jagadguru Shankaracharya Sri Sri Bharati Tirtha Mahaswamiji will grace the city of Hyderabad after nearly two decades as a part of his Vijaya Yatra, on the 25th of November 2012 and halt in the city till the 15th of December 2012. Address of the camp is provided below.
— Archive —